Griffin Churchwell, our Aesthetician, weighs in on how to keep your skin looking it’s best throughout these Winter months. Top products on her list? SkinMedica TNS Essential Serum, Revision Intellishade, and Obagi Hydrate Luxe. Now through the end of February, purchase these items in our office for 15% off! Mention reading this blog post and receive 20% off!
Winter Skin Survival Tips:
- Beware the too-hot shower. Because the weather’s cooler, it can be tempting to crank up the hot water to warm up, but taking showers with water over 100 degrees can dry out your skin. If your skin tightens as soon as you step out of the shower, that’s a sign your water is too hot.
- Moisturize as soon as you get out of the shower or bath. Applying a good moisturizer while some of the water is still trapped in the skin helps lock it in. I love Elta MD’s Moisture Riche Body Crème, formulated with hyaluronic acid, plant based lipids, and mango seed butter.
- Upgrade your night time moisturizer. You know how your body has a circadian rhythm, the natural cycle of rising and sleeping? Many of your skin functions also follow the circadian rhythm. When you are asleep your skin increases its renewal and metabolic functions. Obagi’s Hydrate Luxe uses biometric peptides to compliment your skin’s nightly renewal process and to reduce fine lines in the skin. It also contains Hydromanil, which comes from the tara seed, offering gradual moisture delivery throughout the night.
- Consider investing in a humidifier. A humidifier is great for dry skin, nose, throat, and lips. Plug it in overnight to wake up to more hydrated skin.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen. (Seriously!) In the winter, the sun’s UVB (burning) rays, the ones that “tan us,” aren’t as strong, but the UVA rays remains the same, and those are the ones that age us. When participating during winter sports, like skiing, snowboarding, and sledding, the sun’s rays reflect off the snow, bouncing back onto your skin. So apply sunscreen before the slopes or your neighborhood hill is a must. One of my favorites is Revision’s Intellishade, with a Broad Spectrum SPF 45, and a tint that compliments most shades of skin, it’s a perfect way to protect your skin from the winter sun.